How to find the IP address of your Router
If you are reading this article then your device is connected to the internet through your IP address. Your internet router allows your internet-powered devices to connect to the global network. There are times when you may need to make changes in your router settings, etc and this requires you to know your router IP address.
How to find your router IP address on Microsoft Windows
If you are a Windows user, then there are two ways to find your router IP address. You can choose to find your router IP Address using:
1 – Find the router IP address on Windows computer using Command Prompt
Follow these simple steps to find your router IP address using Command Prompt in Windows OS:
- Click on the Windows icon at the bottom left corner of your computer screen.
- Type in “command prompt” in the Search Bar and hit Enter.
- Type “ipconfig” into the command line and press Enter once again.
- The next dialogue box will display your router’s IP address alongside the Default Gateway title.
2 – Find your router IP address on Windows computer using Control Panel
Follow these steps to find out your router IP address by using the Control Panel on a Windows system:
- Click on the Windows icon on the taskbar at the bottom left-hand corner of your computer screen.
- Type in “control panel” in the Search Bar (You can also access Control Panel from My Computer too).
- Once the Control Panel opens, search for the “Network and Internet” option at the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on the “View network status and tasks” option under the “Network and
- Next, click on the “Connection: WiFi” link (In case you are connected to the router with an Ethernet cable, click on the option titled “Connection: Ethernet”).
- In the new pop-up box, click on the “Details” button.
- In the drop-down list, search for the “IPv4 Default Gateway” title which shows your router IP address in front of it.
How to find your router IP address on Linux
Here are the simple steps to find your router IP address when using Linux OS devices:
- Double-click on the “Network” icon in the notification area.
- Find the “Network Settings” option.
- Click on “Connection Information” under the “Network Settings” option.
- Search for the “Gateway” or “Default Router” option which will have the current router’s IP address displayed next to it.
How to find your router IP address on Mac OS
There are two ways to find your router IP address when on a Mac OS enabled computer. You can either choose to find router IP address through System Preferences or you can use the Terminal App to find it too.
1 – Find the router IP address on Mac OS using System Preferences
Follow these steps to search and find router IP address when on a Mac OS system using System Preferences option:
- Go to the System Preferences option.
- Click on the “Network” icon.
- Select the active WiFi network on the left-hand side panel (If you are connected to the internet using an Ethernet cable, then you will need to click on the Ethernet network option on the left-hand side panel).
- Next, click on the “Advanced” button on the bottom right-hand corner of the pop-up box.
- Then, click on the TC/IP tab in the top part of the dialogue box.
- Search for the option titled “Router” which will display the router’s IP address next to it.
2 – Find router IP address on Mac OS using Terminal App
The steps given below will help you to find the router IP on your Mac OS computer by using the Terminal App:
- Double-click on the Applications folder and again on Utilities before clicking on the Terminal App to open it.
- Type in “netsat – nr/grep default” and hit Enter button.
- Search for the “Default” tab in the list which will display your Mac OS computer’s router IP next to it.
How to find your router IP address on iPhone or iPad
There is a very simple way to find your router IP address on an iPhone or iPad device.
Follow these simple steps:
- Tap on the Settings icon.
- Choose the WiFi option.
- Tap on your selected WiFi network from the given list of networks.
- Your router’s IP address is displayed next to the “Router” option.
How to find your router IP address on Android
Android smartphones have become increasingly common today. There are numerous reasons why you would want to know the router’s IP address on your Android phone. Although there are several third-party apps that are designed to find the specific IP address being used by your WiFi router when using Android devices, you can also find the router IP address by using the Settings option on your phone.
These are the simple steps that help to find the router IP for Android phones and devices:
- Open “Settings”
- Tap on “Network & Internet” option
- Select “WiFi”
- Tap and hold the WiFi network you are currently connected to (or select the WiFi network and tap on the “Settings” option next).
- Tap on the “Advanced” setting button at the bottom of the dialogue box.
- Your router’s IP address and type (Static / Dynamic) are displayed next to the “Gateway” option.
How to find your router IP address on Chrome OS
This is the simple stepwise process to find your IP address on Chrome OS:
- Click on the Notification area to the right-hand side of the taskbar.
- Choose the “WiFi you are connected to” option.
- Once a new window pops up, select the “Network” tab.
- Scroll down the list and look for “Gateway” option which will display your router’s IP address next to it.
We hope that the above instructions were helpful in finding the router IP address for different internet-enabled devices you are using. Feel free to share your experience by dropping in your opinion in the comments section below.